Design Principles | Project 1: Self-Portrait

||  28/4/23 – 19/05/23 (Week 4 – Week 7)
||  Liau Kah Man, 0339084
||  Design Principles 
||  Project 1: Self-Portrait. 



TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. A recap of Project 1 brief
2. Design Process
3. Final Outcome
4. Feedback
5. Reflection
6. Further Reading


1. A RECAP OF PROJECT 1 BRIEF

Project 1: Self-Portrait (30%)
Create a portrait of yourself by applying the various principles that you had learnt through these weeks. The self-portrait allows the student to investigate both historical and contemporary forms of self-expression. 

  • Project 1 – Self-Portrait blog link
  • JPEG image of the final design, labelled as <Your Name_Project 1_Title of Your Final Design>
  • PDF of Project 1 blog
Marking Criteria
  • Considers the references made to clarify the message/ purpose. Uses the design principles to enhance the work.

Marking Rubrics

  • Beginning (0-6) - Idea is not fully realised and execution is poor.
  • Developing (7-9) - Limited success in expressing the idea visually. Lacks sense of the overall composition and how it communicates.
  • Mastering (10-12) - Expresses intention with moderate success though not fully in control of outcome.
  • Outstanding (13-15) Identifies the problem critically with an insightful solution that clearly communicates the intention.

Learning Goal

  • To apply design principles covered during the semester to your work. 
  • To create an awareness of how materials and composition are critical to your communication.

Timeframe
Week 4 – Week 7 (Deadline on Week 7)

Find out other info about this module below.
Document 1.1 Module Information Booklet (MIB) of Design Principles.


2. DESIGN PROCESS

2.1 Visual References

Figure 2.1.1 Mindmap about myself, Week 5 (3/5/2023).

Figure 2.1.2 Reference for the big chess sets I saw during my vacation on Star Cruise when I was around 5 years old, Week 6 (8/5/2023). 

2.2 Idea Exploration


Figure 2.2.1 Sketch on Attempt 1, Week 6 (8/5/2023). 


In Attempt 1, I have included the chess floor, chess piece (pawn), palette, and clarinet. I was trying to portray my multiple interests (choices/strengths/weapons) while I slowly walk to the enemy's side to win the game, just like the current stage of my life where I decided to maintain my multiple interests as I am walking step by step to graduate, instead of focusing on one.  

The pawn was used as it's the only piece that can transform into a queen. Gestalt theory has been used on the pawn too. 

Figure 2.2.2 Sketch on Attempt 2, Week 6 (9/5/2023). 

Extracted main message from Attempt 1, to create Attempt 2. The pawn has two faces facing in opposite directions, which describes another side of me where I cannot decide which path to go (e.g. what type of work in the future). I used bright colors for both paths as I believe no matter which side, it will be bright too :D

Figure 2.2.3 Sketch on Attempt 3, Week 6 (10/5/2023). 

I was raised by my parents that are very different to each other, eventually, I'm sort of a mixture of both of their characteristics/interests (e.g. I'm interested in science and accounts), but also a very different person compared to them (I'm interested in design too).


Figure 2.2.4 Reference to change the hand gesture for Attempt 3 --- the funny hand gestures I did when I was around 5 years old, Week 6 (12/5/2023). 

After feedback, I decided to further explore on the chess which the pawn wanders which path to go (Figure 2.2.2). I have explored on how to make the chessboard shows the pathways are pharmacy and design --- whether it's placed on the ground (maybe would consider 3D too but have to find a way to make the pawn more stand out than the objects) ...

Figure 2.2.5 Further explorations on Attempt 2 - floors, Week 7 (16/5/2023). 

...or as statues with their stage, or on the walls

Figure 2.2.6 Further explorations on Attempt 2 - statues, or on the walls, Week 7 (16/5/2023). 

I also have explored some pawn designs by adding in features that represent me.

Figure 2.2.7 References for pawn designs --- Chopper's hat from One Piece, Week 7 (17/5/2023). Source: One Piece.
Figure 2.2.8 References for pawn designs --- A photo of me with the cap that I have and my jacket, Week 7 (17/5/2023).

Figure 2.2.9 Explorations on the pawn designs, Week 7 (18/5/2023).

The "X" on the hat means "We are nakama" in One Piece. Nakama is a Japanese word composed of the characters [仲] meaning “relationship”, and [間] meaning “space or time”. That is, this word refers to some kind of relationship that you have with someone at some time or interval: a friend or a comrade, which I cherish about.


Figure 2.2.10 Combination of final designs for pawn and layoutWeek 7 (18/5/2023).

While combining, I also tried to avoid the dark parts of the pawn (esp. the faces) to be on the dark parts of the chessboard --- the white and black of the chessboard are exchanged.

Afterwards, proceeds with digitalization by choosing a suitable perspective angle and color theme.


Figure 2.2.11 Experimenting different perspectivesWeek 7 (18/5/2023).


Figure 2.2.12 Exploration on possible color theme for the artwork, Week 7 (19/5/2023). Note: Links above are clickable.

After a few attempts, I am still not satisfied on the color combinations, so I tried another way of thinking --- what colors represent science and art? According to Color Meanings, green may represent science, as science discusses a lot of biological processes and elements thus making people think of green. On the other hand, according to Smashing Magazine, purple is associated with creativity and imagination. 

So, I proceed with those two secondary colors --- green (scientific side) & purple (artistic side).


Figure 2.2.13 References for the color combination of green and purple, Week 7 (19/5/2023).
Source: Color MeaningsI heart crafty things


Figure 2.2.14 Exploration on different greens and purples, Week 7 (19/5/2023). 

Pawn designs are also explored and summarized below.


Figure 2.2.15 Exploration on my character pawn designs, Week 7 (19/5/2023). 

First thing came up my mind upon looking at my digitalized character --- the overall look looks weird, and the character gives bad guy vibes, regardless it's pink which I thought it would make it look friendlier. Also, the chopper's hat looked a bit weird to say it's one of my features/characteristic/interests. It's also somewhat hard to tell it's a pawn, which I think is quite important to look into.

I then thought the vibes may be due to the face looking too sharp, so I search for shocked side face as reference and changed the faces, as well as the shape of the pawn. The sphere part of the pawn (main characteristic of a pawn) is added, and the faces are placed there. The faces looked better (not bad guy looking) but there are some weird bumps under the neck and the bottom part of the pawn looks too big. These are then further improved in Attempt 5. I also used my own photo as reference for the two silhouette faces. At this point, I am quite satisfied with the overall look of the pawn, but soon I accidentally discovered another version.


Figure 2.2.16 Accidental findings of another possibility on the pawn designs, Week 7 (20/5/2023). 

Initially I used the old pawn shapes to trace the new face. After I have completed one side, I just duplicate and flip it for the second face, then move away unwanted parts so that it don't block the other side of the face. When I'm trying to change the color of the pawn, I accidentally just changed one side and it turned out interesting. It looks like the two faces are hugging together, gives a "it's okay to choose anything, or even choose both" vibe. The color is balanced, and the style surprisingly fits the chessboard tiles too, so I remained it. 

But people may interpret is as two persons hugging too, which is fine, as it can also portray two (scientific and artistic) sides of me is hugging together? Anyways, I added a shadow to try strengthening the meaning of there's only a person there, and it just looks logic to have a shadow on the wall when the shadow on the character is dark and sharp.

I also added a simplified jacket to see if it fits, as jacket is something I would bring everywhere and may tie it on my waist or just hold it in my arms, which I think it does fits there, also balancing the color of the big pink hat.

Further touch-ups are done before finalizing.

2.3 Final Outcome in JPEG 

Figure 2.3.1 Final self-portrait -- "Facing possible futures", Week 7 (21/5/2023).

This self-portrait intended to focus more on the gestalt theory design principle. Color theme was chosen based on the meaning and vibes, overall visual looks and decision. As the background pattern itself has taken a lot of attention, lighter paler colors are used to make the main object stand out more. Efforts are made to ensure the overall art style to look consistent too. This artwork also shows design principles of balance, repetition, patterns, harmony. 

2.4 Feedback 

Week 6: Figure 2.2.2 has a stronger message than Figure 2.2.3. Try to add distinct features about yourself and personality into the chess piece.

Week 7: Liked the pawn design with 2 caps in Figure 2.2.9. More intrigued by Attempt 4 in Figure 2.2.6 --- good angle, can make it more perspective looking (more towards inside), may look better than flatly display. Also using the center edge line as the line to distinct both different pathways. You have a very good way of doing sketches and putting in your thoughts to express in those sketches, please keep it up.

 


3. REFLECTION

Faced quite a lot of difficulties while doing this task: (1) Choosing colors for checkboard tile patterns is so hard. Especially when the two sides of chessboards have different color, I need to make sure both sides are matched and somewhat not standing out from another, while ensuring they don't pull all the attention of viewers away from the main object. (2) Making text in perspective angles without distortion --- still can't get it right.

Did a lot of "move on" and jumping here and there to push the progress. For example, I start with choosing color palette, then after getting a somewhat-okay color then "move on" to improve the next at-the-moment crucial part like the pawn designs, then the color, then the floor color. Then the cycle continues to further refine each part. I find this really important so the work may not be finished if always stucked at one point.


4. FURTHER READING

How to draw using perspective grids? (Source: Vector State | Graphic Design Tutorials)

How to make text in perspective angles? (Source: Graphicxtras.com)
Select text box > In menu bar, Effects > 3D (Classics) > Rotate (Classics)

How to fix not enough memory errors? (Source: tech How)
In menu bar, Edit > Preferences > Plug-ins & Scratch Disks > Secondary > Set same as Primary > Restart AI

Comments